Wednesday 28 January 2009

Children Of Men - Although we've come to the end of the road, still I can't let go....

Now I love Dystopian futures. Something to look forward to in this ever increasing likely society that we live in. The uprising it fuels I mean. But this film is just so depressing and grim and grey. It doesn't inspire anything in me. That is not to say that it is not a great movie though. Superbly acted and some stand out scenes and genuine shocks. It's just the general kind of complete dourness of it all. If it wasn't for Julianne (I've always liked her) Moore I may well have slit my wrists. But that's the message not the movie. Watch it.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Great movie.

A very believable future Britain, with layer upon layer of social commentary.

Simply stagging camera work...the long take as Owen traverses the battlefield/street is mindblowingly orchestrated.

I love the mythic structure, from the ordinary man called upon to do extraordinary things, the moses child destined to save the world, and the inevitable sacrifice at the end.